Monday, April 25, 2011

Q is for Quiet... and the Lack Thereof -- Day 17 of the "A to Z Blogging Challenge"

I live with my son and his family, and I'm the stay-at-home grandma and live-in babysitter. My son's five kids range in age from 13 to 3, so you can imagine how noisy it can be. The boys, ages 13 and 8, love their shoot-em-up XBox games and the girls' favorite game involves shrieking as they stampede through the house. I call this shrieking havoc.

Not all of the kids live here full-time. The older boy and the oldest girl live with their mothers and spend weekends here. My son has custody of the younger boy, but is very generous with visitation for his mother, so he spends a lot of time with her.

Now this makes it sound like it shouldn't be too loud here sometimes, but that's not the case. The two little girls, who are my son's children with his current wife, are the noisiest of the lot. I always thought when my kids were growing up that they were noisy because there were 4 boys. Now I know that it would have been worse if they had been girls. Little boys yell. Little girls shriek.

No comments:

Post a Comment